Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Most Frustrating Part of My Job

The most frustrating part of my job is when I represent a book I truly believe in and can't many media to care. I just finished representing two authors this week who have a very timely and applicable book that I believe in on a personal level.

I called and called but I couldn't get their local media to do much. I got many media across the nation interested but Oprah didn't knock on my door asking to meet my client. I think the hardest part is they had stars in their eyes thinking that since they wrote a book (and a good one at that) Oprah, David Letterman, Regis and Kelly and everyone would have them on their show. While I did my best, those shows simply have too many bigger names to choose from.

There's always the voice in the back of my head saying, "There must be something more you could have done!" It's self defeating and won't help me get results and no matter how hard I try to ignore it, the voice is still there. I recognize that the clients could not have garnered as much attention by themselves but it's still hard when I know my clients were expecting more.

Sometimes, the good ones still slip through the cracks and that is the most frustrating part of my job.

No comments: